Monday, December 8, 2014

Raw (Baby) Jackfruit Curry, Palakkai Poriyal


          Raw Jackfruit or baby jackfruit/palakkai, I have never cooked this vegetable until now, and, of course when staying in the US, I could find only the canned version of this vegetable. My mother used to make a poriyal/curry with raw jackfruit and I had wanted to try it sometime, when I saw them here in Bangalore, I wanted to try it and my friend helped me to pick one and she also gave me this recipe. Initially I thought peeling and preparing the vegetable for cooking was a difficult task, but it's just peeling and dicing. This dish is very easy to make and tastes really good ( like a mix of potato and cabbage ) and goes very well with rice and dal/sambar..

Need To Have

  • Raw/Baby Jackfruit, Palakkai - 1 small
  • Onion - 1 medium, chopped
  • Green Chilly - 1, chopped
  • Mustard Seeds - 1/2 teaspoon
  • Urad Dal/Husked Black Gram - 1 tablespoon
  • Dried Red Chilly - 1
  • Asafoetida - 1/4 teaspoon
  • Curry Leaves - 10
  • Grated Coconut - 3 tablespoons
  • Salt to taste

Method


          Peel and dice the baby jackfruit/palakkai.


          Add the pieces to boiling water and cook for 10 to 15 minutes till cooked, drain and let it cool down.


          Take the cooked pieces in a blender and pulse it lightly, so that the pieces are slightly minced, but not a paste.


          Heat some oil, add the mustard seeds and urad dal, once the seeds start spluttering, add the asafoetida, followed by the red chilly, mix then add the chopped green chillies and onion.


          Saute till the onions turn translucent and pink, the add the minced jackfruit, salt and mix for a minute. Finally add the grated coconut, mix and remove.


Note
Apply some oil in your hands while peeling and cutting this vegetable, it'll be little sticky.
Cook the vegetable till done but not mushy.
Pin It

7 comments:

  1. It must be very aromatic and delicious!

    ReplyDelete
  2. very delicious curry.. Perfect rice or roti

    ReplyDelete
  3. Just perfect and delicious one. I was hunting for this recipe for so long and finally I got it. Lovely. I have noted down the recipe and will surely prepare the same.

    ReplyDelete
  4. healthy and delicious poriyal..

    ReplyDelete
  5. love this a lot,looks delicious ...:)

    ReplyDelete